Sunday, September 2, 2007

Meeting the family

Here I thought I figured out what I was doing wrong with the computer the other day.  There is a button next to the space key that I was hitting instead of the spacde key and every tijme I would do so it was changing me from English to Japanese.  Now Ive figure out a way to underline everything I write.  Well, its in English so I will continue/

We took about a 30 minute bus ride from the hotel to Makis home town in the suburbs of Osaka. As I:ve told several people, I was a bit nervous about meeting the family, mainly not wanting to offend anyone with my built in American sensibilities. Of course, as soon as we pull up, Ichiro, Makis father, is right out front with a b ig smile on his face and a warm greeting. Duh! It:s all good from there on.

We hung around the house talking、Maki translating for us.  Did a fun gift exchange. Then went to dinner with Makis parents and her sister, brother in law, and their two wonderful kids. We ate a feast! I:ll try to post some pictures later, but the courses just kept coming and coming.

Communication is mainly through Maki translating but it seems to be working out well. More later.... after breakfast.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for traveling thousand miles to meet with my parents. Same as you, both of my parents were very nervous before the first meeting.
I am sure that they had had more to say (I am sure that my mother wrote pages of what she wanted to say in English). When they saw your smile, they understood that letting their smile speak would be the best way to express how they felt. They had a wonderful time with you.